Drifting is an essential driving skill to win a street race mission or to capture your target quickly in GTA 5. If you don’t know How to Drift in GTA 5, this article is for you.
If you want to win a race quickly, drifting is the most important skill for you. Being able to drift without spinning out of control can be the deciding factor between achieving a satisfying victory and enduring a painful defeat.
But, what is drifting? Simply put, drifting is sliding through a turn without spinning out. It happens when a car slides after using the handbrake while turning.
Drifting isn’t something you do by chance but rather a skill that needs to be learned step by step. Of course, you need a good car that can be easily controlled while you drift is also recommended.
To master drift in GTA 5, just knowing the steps is not enough, you have to practice more and more to master drift in GTA 5.
And also remember that you will lose some acceleration when you when you hit the turn. So wrong timing can lead you to immediate defeat.
To improve your drifting skill you can practice in open areas or confined spaces such as parking garages where you can get to familiarize yourself with the controls before applying your newfound skills to the actual race.
How to Drift in GTA 5?
To drift in GTA 5, you have to accelerate the car for a while. When you reach the turning point, release the acceleration button and press the “Spacebar” button (Not “S”) to engage your E-brake. Then press the left arrow when sliding on the right side and the right arrow to drift on the left side.
In GTA 5, drifting is all about controlling the car, managing your E-brake, and proper timing. If you start your drift too soon, you might not be able to maintain it long enough to clear a corner.
If you can’t control your rear tires, you’ll spin out. If you fail to engage your E-brake on time, you will lose the drift altogether.
Mastering drift in GTA 5 will give you big advantages in racing events or to catch your target quickly.
Of course, you need to practice first, as drifting is not a skill you can get used to easily. Besides, consider choosing the best drift cars and Franklin, thanks to his driving ability, you can easily drift in GTA 5 without proper skill.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on How to Drift in GTA 5:
- Start Accelerating: Start Accelerating until you reach the turning point. To accelerate your car, press “W” on PC and use “R2” on Playstation & “RT” on Xbox.
- Use Handbrake/E-brake: When you reach the turning point use your handbrake or E-brake (Spacebar/R1/RB). Avoid using your brakes (S key/L2/LT) while drifting, because it will dramatically decrease your car speed. Shortly after that, you can release “W” a little bit to slow down the car so that you can control it easily.
- Slide Opposite Direction: Turn the steering in the opposite direction for drifting also known as countersteering. For example, if you want to slide left then press the right arrow or “D“, similarly to slide right use the left arrow key or “A” key.
- Accelerate Again Normally: After your drift is finished, release the Spacebar key and start accelerating again normally.
Keep in mind, that you have to press the Spacebar, not the “S” key to drift in GTA 5.
What is Drifting?
Now, you know how to drift in GTA 5 and are ready to win racing events. But do you know what drifting really is?
I told you earlier that drifting is sliding through the corner without spinning out of control. But you might ask how drifting works in a real car.
Drifting is a driving skill where the driver intentionally oversteers, and loss of traction in the rear wheels (or all tires) while maintaining control and driving the car through a corner in a controlled slide.
To perform this technique, you have to drive your car at high speed, and also involves balancing throttle, steering, and braking inputs to maintain the slide through the corner.
Drifting is a big part of racing in movies and games. It became more popular after The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift movie. In GTA 5, drifting is a significant part of the racing. It requires skill, precision, and a deep understanding of vehicle dynamics.
How to Drift in GTA 5 with low-grip tires?
In the YouTube video by hella-flush, you can see how GTA Online players drift low-grip cars using the clutch-dumping technique. This method allows you to drift around corners and extend the sliding duration.
Here’s how to drift RWD (rear-wheel-drive) cars in GTA Online:
- Keep the car in second gear or maintain a speed between 20-40 mph.
- Use the handbrake or E-brake and then reapply the accelerator while counter-steering.
- Repeat step 2 for a longer drift.
For low-grip AWD (all-wheel-drive) cars in GTA Online:
- Tap the handbrake repeatedly while holding the accelerator and navigate the turn while maintaining control.
With some practice, you can master this technique and successfully drift low-grip cars in GTA Online.
And remember, choosing the right car is very important for a smooth drifting experience. You have to select a car that enhances the overall drifting performance.
Also Read: How to Get Free Money on GTA Online?
Tips & Tricks to Properly Drift in GTA 5
Drifting in GTA 5 can be a thrilling experience, but it requires skill and practice to master. Here are some tips and tricks to help you drift effectively in the game:
- Choose the Right Car: Some cars in GTA 5 are better suited for drifting than others. Look for cars with rear-wheel drive and good handling characteristics.
- Upgrade Your Car: Invest in performance upgrades such as engine upgrades, brakes, suspension, and tires to improve your car’s drifting capabilities.
- Find the Right Location: Look for wide, open spaces with minimal traffic to practice drifting without interruptions. The airport or industrial areas are good options.
- Master the Handbrake: Learn to use the handbrake (Spacebar on PC, Circle/B on PlayStation, or B on Xbox) to initiate and control drifts. Tap the handbrake while turning to initiate a drift, and modulate it to control the angle and duration of the drift.
- Control the Throttle: Use the throttle to maintain or adjust the speed of your drift. Feather the throttle to keep the rear wheels spinning and maintain momentum through the drift.
- Countersteer: As you initiate a drift, countersteer by turning the opposite direction to keep the car balanced and prevent it from spinning out.
- Practice Timing: Timing is crucial when initiating a drift. Try to anticipate the corners and start your drift early enough to maintain control throughout the turn.
- Experiment with Different Techniques: There are various drifting techniques you can try, such as the feint drift, clutch kick, or power-over drift. Experiment with different techniques to find what works best for you in different situations.
- Learn from Others: Watch videos of skilled GTA 5 drifters or join online communities to learn tips and tricks from other players. Observing how others drift can help you improve your technique.
- Patience and Persistence: Drifting takes practice, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t get it right away. Keep practicing, and you’ll gradually improve your skills and become a better drifter in GTA 5.
- Manually lower the car: There is a trick to help lower your car. What you will do is select a firearm, and shoot at an area close to your tire without actually hitting the tire (or you can shoot it in the middle). This will lower your car a little. Keep shooting until your car lowers a couple of inches. You will need to do this to all tires.
- Remove any brake upgrades and bulletproof tires: Bulletproof tires will prevent you from lowering the car manually. Brake upgrades will make drifting a little more difficult.
Remember to always drive responsibly, even in a virtual environment like GTA 5. Enjoy the thrill of drifting, but prioritize safety and respect for other players.